Naming history

Thomas Vaughan was the local farmer who in 1963 donated the 12 acres within which Vaughan Park has been built.  The Centre opened in 1997.

Margaret Vaughan was the mother of Thomas who donated the land on which Vaughan Park has been established.

The Hon. Justice John Priestley, Chairman Vaughan Park Governance Board 2002 - 2011

Robert Carmichael was Chief Executive of the Anglican Trust Board.  He had leading roles in developing the overall concept of Vaughan Park, the variation of Trust and related negotiations to establish the Centre.

Ken Forrest was a lawyer in the firm Hesketh Henry which continues to act for the Diocese.  He was foundational to the variation of the Trust and liaising with Mr Thomas Vaughan about the development.

The Rt Rev Edward Gilbert (Ted) Buckle was Assistant Bishop for the Northern Region of the Auckland Diocese from 1981 to 1992.

The Rt Rev Waiohau Rui (Ben) Te Haara was Pihopa ki te Tai Tokerau from 1992 to 2001.  Bishop Ben has retired to the Bay of Islands.

Saint Clare.  Under the guidance of St Francis, Clare became foundress and the first abbess of the order now called "The Poor Clares".  Strongly ascetic though the rule of the order was, Clare still warned about extremes: "Our bodies are not made of brass", she once wrote.  She died in 1253.

Ruatara - The ChapelRuatara was a Nga Puhi chief from the Bay of Islands.  He was a significant figure in the introduction of Christianity to New Zealand.  Through him the Rev Samuel Marsden established a mission in 1814.

St Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Order of Friars.  The first Custodians of Vaughan Park were Franciscan brothers now living at Te Ara Hou in Hamilton.  Francis combined in his life many strands: mission preacher, lover of animals, ascetic, mystic, dramatic fool for Christ, happy singer, troubadour of God.  He died in 1226 and was canonised two years later.

Gilberd Place , a street adjoining Vaughan Park.   Named in honour of  The Right Rev. Bruce Gilberd in whose episcopate Vaughan Park was designed and built.

The Rev. John Fairbrother is the former Director of Vaughan Park.  2003 – 2015